Table of contents.
Introduction to the updated edition.
1. Introduction to how Google works.
- Old-school methods that no longer work.
- Google updates and how to survive them.
- Authority, Trust & Relevance. The three powerful SEO strategies explained.
- How Google ranks sites now—Google’s top 10 ranking factors revealed.
- How to stay ahead of Google’s updates.
2. Keyword research. The most important step of SEO.
- Why is keyword research so important?
- What is a keyword, exactly?
- How to generate a massive list of keywords.
- How to find keywords that will send traffic to your site.
- How to find keywords for easy rankings.
3. On-page SEO. How to let Google know what your page is about.
- How to structure your site for easy and automatic SEO.
- How to make Google pick up the keywords you want.
- How to get more people clicking on your rankings in Google.
- Site load speed—Google magic dust.
- The usual suspects—sitemaps.xml and robots.txt.
- Duplicate content—canonical tags and other fun.
- Usability—the new SEO explained.
- Google’s search quality guidelines—and how to use them to your advantage.
- Readability—SEO for the future.
- How to accelerate traffic and rankings with fresh content.
- How to target Featured Snippet rankings in Google’s search results.
4. Link building. How to rank extremely high on Google.
- Why is link building so important?
- The dirty little secret no one wants to tell you about link building.
- How to acquire links and what to avoid in link building.
- Anchor text. What's all the fuss?
- Simple to advanced link building strategies.
- Link outreach—scaling up high quality link building campaigns.
- Additional link building strategies.
5. Social media & SEO.
- Is social media important for SEO?
- Google+ & SEO.
- Facebook & SEO.
- Twitter & SEO.
- Other social networks.
- Social media analytics.
6. Web analytics in a nutshell. How to measure your success.
- Why use Google Analytics?
- How to use Google Analytics.
- Organic Search report.
- Common web analytics terms explained.
- Call tracking—powerful analytics for every business.
- Other web analytics tools.
7. Troubleshooting common SEO problems & how to fix them.
- What to do when your site is not listed in Google at all.
- What to do when your business is not ranking for your own business name.
- What to do when your rankings have dropped off.
- How to seek professional help for free.
8. Local SEO. SEO for local businesses.
- Why use local SEO?
- How to rank high with local SEO.
- Local search ranking factors.
- Getting started with local SEO.
- Building citations.
- Building reviews.
- Supercharging local SEO with photos and videos.
- Local SEO ranking checklist & essential resources.
9.The new meta: Microformats, Microdata, schema.org & Facebook OpenGraph.
- Microformats, RDFa, microdata & schema.org. Where to start?
- Schema.org & how to use it.
- hCards & how to use it.
10. Powerful SEO tools.
- Research tools.
- Optimization tools.
- Link building tools.
- Web analytics tools.
Bonus Chapter 1: Google’s algorithm updates.
- HTTPS update & HTTPS upgrade checklist.
- Doorway Pages update.
- Mobile SEO update.
- Phantom II/Quality update.
- Panda 4.2 refresh.
- Google’s RankBrain & machine learning announcement.
- HTTP/2—the new technology that can double your load speed.
- AdWords Shake Up… A.K.A Adpocalypse.
- Mobile update part 2.
- Google’s Interstitial update—A.K.A “Death to mobile popups"
- Accelerated Mobile Pages—A.K.A Mobile web browsing on steroids.
- Google's Possum update.
- Penguin 4.0—Penguin goes real time.
- Google FRED—Diagnosis and recovery.
- Google’s Hawk update and its impact on local SEO.
- Google Becoming Apple's Default Search Provider for Siri, iOS and Spotlight on Mac OS
- Google's Mobile-First Index coming up in 2018.
- Keeping up to date with Google's updates.
- Google’s 2018 updates—what’s on the horizon?
Bonus Chapter 2: The quick and dirty guide to pay-per-click advertising with Google AdWords.
- Why bother with pay-per-click advertising?
- Which is the best PPC provider to start with?
- Ensuring success with research and a plan.
- How to choose the right kind of keywords.
- How much to pay for keywords.
- AdWords settings for getting started.
- Optimization tips for tweaking your campaign for better profit.
- Using Accelerated Mobile Pages in AdWords campaigns to accelerate your sales.
- Further AdWords resources.
Bonus Resource: Free 50 point SEO checklist PDF
Final thoughts and tips.